Dhurrie Area Rugs
The most important thing is to identify a Dhurrie rug. This extreme cleaning should not be done on other wool rugs. A Dhurrie rug is a flat woven rug made in India. The majority of the rug is a natural-colored wool with a simple pattern made by weaving in other colors. The became popular in the early 1980’s and became increasingly affordable as time went on.The Dhurrie rug is also reversible. Due to the affordable price, owners put them in kitchens and family rooms where they become very dirty. Typical cleaning usually improves the rug very little. All these things being true; inexpensive, light colors, and heavy soil make an extreme cleaning method appropriate.
- Identify rug properly and suggest extreme cleaning method to client along with potential risk. Customers generally will choose a high level of cleaning over longevity of the rug. Test for bleeding. If the rug bleeds, do NOT proceed with this process.
- Vacuum thoroughly. Pre-treat fringes.
- Add 1 oz. of Boost All to gallon of hot water in your sprayer, mix, then add 6 oz. of Dominator. Apply prespray and allow to dwell 10 to 15 minutes. Brush agitation is optional, but can improve results.
- Extract fringes and rug with Power Rinse (4 oz. per gallon)
- Dry with an Air Mover overnight.
Helpful Hints – Talk to customer about using one side of the Dhurrie for daily use and saving the other side for guests. Also you may suggest that the customer move the rug into an area where it will receive less traffic, like a bedroom.
Caution – The extreme cleaning method may not make the rug look new again. It will do a better job than the typical wool cleaning formulas. Remember, use this formula only on heavy soiled Dhurrie rugs!
Type: Traffic Lane Cleaner
Highlights: Powerful pre-spray that will quickly dissolve the most difficult soils
Type: Cleaning Additive
Highlights: Brightens dingy traffic lanes, removes water marks, corrects browning
Type: Conditioner/ Neutralizer
Highlights: Prevents wicking, browning and yellowing. Removes alkaline residue.